We may earn commission from affiliate links →
Best Greek Islands For Families Who Love Fun
Even when you might think that Greek summer destinations are all about partying, beach raves, or, on the contrary, quaint whitewashed villages a bit dull for active kids, the truth is that Greece is more than just Mykonos and Santorini!
There are, in fact, dozens of other Greek islands that can offer fantastic holiday opportunities for families with children.
Some of them are quiet and relaxing with incredibly beautiful and safe beaches; others offer an active lifestyle made of sports and outdoor activities and a bunch more that showcase interesting museums and cultural proposals that all families enjoy.
In this article, you’ll be able to check out some of the best Greek Islands for families with kids and pick the right destination for your summer vacation with the children.
Perfect for families with kids that love long days, by the way, playing with small waves in safe shallow waters or making dozens of sand castles, Paros is a fantastic island to spend your summer vacation with the family.
This island, quite popular among the Greeks, offers incredible activities to enjoy when the children want a break from beach life. One of them is Petaloudes, a unique butterfly valley where loads of superb and colorful butterflies come to reproduce at the end of every summer.
There are just two places like this in Greece (the other one is the Petaloudes Valley on Rhodes island), and it is undoubtedly a magical place for kids to enjoy.
Kids also enjoy the fantastic Kolombithres beach, with a unique, moon-like landscape made of soft white stones that have been eroded by the sea and the wind. The beach is shallow and extremely safe, and one of the best places to visit in Paros with the kids.
The island also has incredible restaurants, most of them serving delicious and healthy dishes of the Greek tradition, abundant fresh fish, and fresh vegetables. For kids interested in mountain landscapes, there are several villages in the center of the island that you wouldn’t want to miss.
And if cultural activities are your thing, don’t miss the Archaeological Museum of Paros, where it will be possible to admire some of the most beautiful examples of ancient Cycladic art in the area.
Top Accommodation In Paros For Families
This fantastic island is the place you want to spend your summer vacation with the family, as it is popular among locals and visitors, and accommodation tends to sell out fast, so book early to ensure better fees and availability. These are some of the best accommodations in Paros for those traveling with kids.
Budget Accommodation In Paros For Families
- Deep Blue Studios: This family-friendly property is only 40 meters from the beach. The Cycladic-style complex provides self-catering studios with balconies. There is a charming garden with a fountain and barbecue. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Silver Rocks Hotel: This picturesque hotel rests between the beaches of Chryssi Akti and New Chryssi Akti. Here, you can relax in a family environment and enjoy our hospitable atmosphere. The hotel itself offers a swimming pool with sun beds and water activities. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Paros For Families
- Fragoulis Village: The place is set in lush gardens on the western coast of Paros. All rooms feature a balcony with a sea or garden view. There is a swimming pool, children’s pool, playground, and snack bar. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Naoussa Bay Villas: Surrounded by vineyards and gardens, Naoussa Bay Villas offers spacious, Cycladic-style villas with fully equipped kitchens and sea views. It has two pools with sun terraces. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Paros For Families
- Hara’s Villa: This place provides accommodation with a garden, a shared kitchen, and a shared lounge. The holiday home has three separate bedrooms, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen, and three bathrooms. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Villa Trifylia: The place offers a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a garden, and air-conditioned accommodation with a balcony and free WiFi. Guests can enjoy a terrace, a seating area, a fully equipped kitchen, and a barbecue. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
The biggest and most interesting Greek island to visit with children, there is no shortage of things to do when discovering Crete. Such a huge island, the fifth biggest in the Mediterranean, offers plenty of things to do for holidays lasting from just a week to a whole month!
One of the most fascinating things for kids in Crete is the dozens of archaeological sites scattered all over the island; the most important of them, the Minoan Palace of Knossos, is not just the second most important archaeological site in the country but it is the fantastic destination for curious kids interested in Greek mythology and the myth of the Minotaur and the labyrinth.
On the island, there are also several water parks, theme parks, incredible lonely beaches, especially on the southern coast, and some interesting museums, such as the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion or the Marine Museum of Chania.
Kids interested in hiking or trekking will enjoy the three huge mountain ranges that cross the island, where there are dozens of gorges for them to explore and discover the unique flora and fauna of the island. Many of these ravines end in incredible, solitary beaches where you could spend a whole day on your own enjoying the sea.
The last word should be spent on Cretan food, popular among travelers of all ages, this delicious cuisine, similar to the Mediterranean diet and with some Middle Eastern influences, is often the main reason why people choose Crete for their holidays, and both adults and kids really love the local diet!
Top Accommodations In Crete For Families
One of the most kid-friendly islands in Greece offers hundreds of stunning hotels for families; these are some of the best accommodations in Crete for those traveling with kids.
Budget Accommodation In Crete For Families
- Elpida Village: Located in Istron, East Crete, the hotel boasts stunning sea views amidst lush gardens and features a charming courtyard and outdoor pool. Elpida’s terrace is an ideal place to relax or challenge friends and family to a game of pool or table football in the games room. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Anastasia Hotel Stalis: This hotel is just 30 minutes from Heraklion town, and the rooms are decorated and furnished. They all include a terrace or balcony that looks out to a swimming pool, gardens, or the sea. There is a restaurant and bar situated by the pool. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Crete For Families
- Royal & Imperial Belvedere Hotels: The hotel is set within a Cretan garden with lemon, olive, and palm trees. It offers seven swimming pools and three tennis courts. All rooms have balconies with views across the Aegean Sea and the contrasting hillside. There are two children’s pools with water slides. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Gouves Bay Hotel: With a restaurant, a bar, a shared lounge, and a garden, this property also provides guests with a children’s playground, an outdoor swimming pool, and karaoke. Guests at Gouves Bay Hotel can enjoy a continental or buffet breakfast. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Crete For Families
- Porto Platanias Village Resort: The hotel is 200 meters from the beach. The village-style complex has gardens and a lovely swimming pool. Studios and apartments have a private balcony, a well-equipped kitchenette, and a satellite TV with international channels. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- The Village Resort and Waterpark: The hotel has a waterpark with super-fun slides on site for all guests, including children, as well as various day and night bars. You can play mini soccer and ping-pong and enjoy family activities with the international animation team. The area is also popular for biking. Nearby are the world-renowned Crete Golf, the Creta Aquarium, and the ancient monument of Knossos. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
is Another huge island with incredible beaches and amazing museums in Corfu. Located on the Ionian, this is a great summer destination for families with children. During the visit, families enjoy visiting Corfu’s old town, a UNESCO-listed World Heritage Site featuring two stunning fortresses that children love to explore.
On the island, several beach towns seem to be primarily geared for children; one of them is Paleokastritsa, featuring some of the most incredible beaches on the island, with plenty of impressive lush greenery and where kids enjoy exploring the sea caves with pedal boats or kayaking.
Another beach families love is Sidari, where the impressive rock formations of the so-called Canal D’Amour fascinates adults and kids alike. On Sidari, the sandy beach makes it the right place for kids to create sand castles, swim, and enjoy water sports.
Corfu also has interesting museums, art exhibitions, and archaeological sites for children. Besides, the mountains in the center of the island offer excellent opportunities for hiking, horseback riding, and a close contact with nature.
More activities can be found in the port of Corfu, where there are boats offering excursions to the nearby beaches of Antipaxos, as well as short tours on glass-bottom boats to discover the impressive seabed of the island.
Top Accommodation In Corfu For Families
There are plenty of options for kid-friendly places to stay in Corfu. These are some of the best accommodations in Corfu for those traveling with kids, and as usual, booking early will let you find better fees and availability.
Budget Accommodation In Corfu For Families
- Sea-Bird Hotel: The hotel is 150 meters from the beach, features a swimming pool and a children’s playground, and all rooms open to a balcony or patio. Guests can start the day with a delicious breakfast served at the property. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Maltezos Hotel: This small family-run hotel is located in Gouvia, 250 meters from the beach. It provides a large swimming pool. Rooms come with a fridge and a spacious balcony. Pool tables, darts, and a garden with a children’s play area are also provided. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Corfu For Families
- Primavera Hotel: The hotel is 500 meters from the beach, and rooms are set amidst a big beautiful garden. It has a swimming pool and provides free private on-site parking. Continental breakfast is served daily. Facilities include a billiards table and a table tennis table. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Nic Gemini Hotel: Just 50 meters from the beach, the hotel features an outdoor pool with separate children’s pool and a playground in the lush garden. Dining options include one restaurant and bars. Private parking is provided on-site upon charge. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Corfu For Families
- Sentido Apollo Palace: The hotel is 200 meters from the beach and has a garden and terrace. The resort features a restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool, evening entertainment, and a shared lounge. The resort also offers a children’s playground. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Pelekas Monastery: Set right on the sandy beach, the hotel has a large free-form swimming pool, two restaurants, and 3 bars. The rooms feature relaxing interiors with either mountain or sea views. There are also pool tables, a beach volleyball court, a mini playground, a kids’ club, and a kids’ pool. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Naxos is undoubtedly among the most favorite Greek Islands for families. It spreads over a huge, green territory with gorgeous mountains and is also home to some of the most impressive beaches in Greece.
The coastal area of Naxos has some safe beaches for families to enjoy; one of them is the huge Plaka Beach, with soft sand and shallow, clear waters. Agios Prokopios is another favorite beach for children, and it is well-organized, offering water sports for the whole family.
The old town of Naxos is also a fascinating place for kids to discover. It is home to one of the most beautiful Venetian Castles in the Cyclades, and there are several museums to discover, such as the archaeological and the folklore museums.
The island is also famous for its incredible archaeological ruins; the most important of them all is located right by the port and is certainly the first thing you will notice when your ferry approaches the island, the giant Portara. Considered the entrance gate to a Greek temple that was never finished, this impressive structure overlooking the main town of Naxos, Chora, is one of the most fascinating ruins on the island.
But that’s not all; Naxos is also known for hosting the highest mountain in the Cyclades, Mount Zas, where all the family can enjoy interesting hikes as the ascend is not tricky. People of all ages can enjoy the experience.
Top Accommodation In Naxos For Families
You will not have a lot of trouble finding the right property in Naxos to enjoy with the family. These are some of the best accommodations in Naxos for those traveling with kids.
Budget Accommodation In Naxos For Families
- Orkos Beach Hotel: The hotel is on the sandy beach of Mikri Vigla. It has an outdoor pool surrounded by a well-tended garden. Guests can relax in the sunbeds by the pool or enjoy a refreshing drink from the bar. A chapel and a children’s playground are available on-site, and a mini library is included. A shuttle service is provided at an extra charge. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Sun and Moon Villas: A favorite for families, the place features a large beautiful garden with an outdoor pool. All rooms and suites have a kitchen fitted with a toaster, stovetop, and refrigerator. There is also a hot tub and a children’s playground. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Naxos For Families
- Lagos Mare Hotel: The hotel is a short walk from the endless sandy beach of Agios Prokopios. It offers a restaurant serving Greek and Mediterranean cuisine, a beauty spa and fitness center, and several swimming pools. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Finikas Hotel: Set amidst a large garden, Finikas offers sea-view accommodation and a pool. The hotel’s restaurant serves a la carte lunch and dinner. There is also a pool bar, where guests can enjoy a refreshing drink or cocktail. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Naxos For Families
- Aegean Palace: The boutique Aegean Palace features a large, free-form pool with a poolside bar surrounded by extensive gardens. Guests can start the day with a rich American breakfast. The pool bar serves cocktails and refreshments. For the little ones, there is also a children’s pool. The elegant guest rooms are air-conditioned. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Glaronissi Beach: Located amidst lush gardens, just 60 meters from the sandy Plaka Beach, the hotel offers self-catering units opening to balconies with a kitchenette with a fridge, cooking hobs, and kitchenware. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Families love to enjoy the warm waters of the Dodecanese during their holidays in Greece, and Rhodes, the biggest island in this group, has just the right amount of entertainment, great beaches, and interesting sites that fascinate kids of all ages.
Trust me; this will highlight your kids’ holiday on the island. Starting with the main settlement, Rhodes Town, kids will be stunned by the perfect castle left by the Crusaders in the heart of the medieval town of the capital. Known as the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes, this is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in the world, built in Gothic style and the previous citadel of the Knights.
The perfect island for curious kids, Rhodes also features a well-preserved ancient hilltop town, Lindos, with interesting archaeological ruins to explore. The village overlooks one of the most beautiful shores on the island, and it can be an excellent trip from any other seaside village in town.
As we mentioned before (See Paros), the Valley of the Butterflies, or Petaloudes, is a big park where kids love to explore the immense colony of butterflies that arrive and remain in the area during the end of the summer. This huge park has ponds, streams, gorgeous wooden bridges, and dozens of benches where you could even enjoy a picnic with the family.
Older kids interested in water sports should not miss Prasonissi, a wide beach that turns into an island depending on the tides and a favorite place in Rhodes to practice kitesurfing.
Top Accommodation In Rhodes For Families
It is really easy to find the right place to stay with kids in Rhodes; however, since the island is really popular, booking accommodation in advance guarantees better prices and wider availability. These are some of the best accommodations in Rhodes for those traveling with kids.
Budget Accommodation In Rhodes For Families
- Romantza Mare: The place offers an outdoor pool and a sun terrace in Kalithea. It features a garden and games room. Other amenities offered at the property include entertainment staff and grocery deliveries. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Sun Beach Resort: Set right on the beach and near Rhodes Town, the hotel boasts excellent entertainment facilities for children and adults. The beachfront property is surrounded by gardens stretching all the way down to the sea. Guests can enjoy three large fresh-water swimming pools and an extensive program for kids, including a supervised mini club, cinema, two adventure playgrounds, and two pools. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Rhodes For Families
- Lindia Thalassa: The property is situated in Pefkos Beach, and it offers an outdoor pool, restaurant, and snack bar. It features studios and rooms with a balcony, a kitchenette, and a TV. The bathroom comes with a shower and complimentary toiletries. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Blue Horizon: An attractive resort set amongst pleasant gardens situated on a beautiful sandy beach. It offers tennis, a spa, and a restaurant on-site. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Rhodes For Families
- Princess Sun Hotel: The hotel is on a small hill, offering excellent sea and mountain views. There are three swimming pools with sun beds and umbrellas, a buffet restaurant with a children’s corner, and a bar. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Apollo Beach: Located on an enchanting beach with remarkable surroundings nestled in greenery with flowering gardens and trees, the two buildings of this hotel are located on the East of the island, 400 meters from the heart of Faliraki village. There is a bar and restaurant bar available. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Another impressive green island that kids enjoy in Greece is Skiathos. The place is a fantastic destination for families with older children that are learning or love water sports, immersion, and pristine beaches with dozens of trees.
However, Skiathos does not just cater to sport-loving kids; the island is super laid-back and relaxing, making it an excellent destination for families with toddlers and babies.
The atmosphere is quiet, and for those little feet that are just beginning to swim, there are abundant safe, very shallow shores that will make the little ones laugh and enjoy for hours.
On the island, the whole family can admire the coast of Koukounaries Beach, often included among the ten best beaches in the world. This unique seven-kilometer-long shore with soft sand is perfect for long days by the sea without ever feeling that the place has gotten very crowded.
Top Accommodation In Skiathos For Families
The green island of Skiathos is a true paradise for families with children who love to explore natural landscapes and are keen on water sports. These are some of the best accommodations in Skiathos for those traveling with kids.
Budget Accommodation In Skiathos For Families
- Blue Horizon Studios: The place enjoys a privileged location only 10 minutes from Skiathos Town and 400 meters from Megali Ammos Beach. There are 16 fully equipped studios, offering a comfortable space. Each of them comes with a fridge and a kitchen. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Villa Kavourakia: Perfect for families, this hotel is surrounded by lush greenery and offers self-catered accommodation with views of Kolios Bay. The nearest beach is 600 meters away. Units come with cooking facilities and a fridge. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Mid-Range Accommodation In Skiathos For Families
- Villa Albanis: The property offers accommodation in Kolios, 6 kilometers from. Skiathos Town. Some units include a seating area and balcony. There is also a kitchenette fitted with a fridge. There is a seasonal outdoor pool on-site. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Elizabeth Studios: Located in Skiathos Town, the place features a restaurant, a shared lounge, a bar, a garden, a seasonal outdoor pool, and a terrace. The daily breakfast offers buffet, à la carte, or continental options. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
Luxury Accommodation In Skiathos For Families
- Vigles Sea View, Philian Hotels and Resorts: Just a 5-minute drive from Skiathos Port, this hotel has accommodation with views over the Aegean Sea or the complex’s swimming pool. It has a poolside bar and serves a buffet breakfast in the morning. Free private parking is available on-site. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Thalassa Cape Hotel, Philian Collection: Located meters from Megali Ammos Beach, the hotel features a garden and room with garden or sea views. An array of restaurants, shops, and grocery stores are within walking distance. Check out the hotel & prices here ↳
- Unique Things To Do In Greece With Kids
- How To Tip In Greece
- Car Rental And Driving Tips For Greece
- Where To Stay In Crete
- What To Do In Greece In Post COVID Times
- What To Expect & Do In September In Greece
- Things To Do In Greece During The Winter
- Packing Tips For Greece
- Things To Do And Eat During Easter In Greece
- How To Travel Greece On A Budget
- How To Get From Santorini To Crete
- Things To Do In Corfu For Families
- Best Cave Hotels In Greece
- Where To Stay On Corfu
- Greek Island Groups – Everything You Need To Know
- Mainland Beaches In Greece Not To Miss