Some posts contain compensated links. Please read this disclaimer for more info.
Where To Stay In Athens, Plus The Best Hotels In Athens
Athens, the capital of Greece, is not only a fantastic European capital to visit, with all its monuments, archaeological sites, and museums. It’s also a great place to live for longer periods too.
Digital nomads in Greece, remote workers, and full-time travelers that visit fall in love with the Athens and often decide to spend longer than originally intended.
No matter whether you’re visiting for a short time or you’ve decided to give life in Athens a try, this guide will walk you through the best places to stay and live in Athens.
In this article, I will tell you which are the best areas for night entertainment, for top hotels and taverns, but also the best places to go shopping too. I will also discuss those places that are not so convenient so that you have no doubts left about where you should stay the next time you stay in Athens.
How To Move Around In Athens
One good thing about living in Athens is that all the different neighborhoods are really well connected with the metro. It’s effortless and fast to reach different corners of the city in virtually no time.
The metro system can easily take you to the center of town, even from the international airport Eleftherios Venizelos. It’s also possible to use the metro to reach the Port of Piraeus and board a ferry to one of the famous Greek islands.
The city also has an extensive bus network, and taxis are both convenient and safe. Due to the important motorways that connect different areas outside of the capital, it’s also straightforward to reach the southern suburbs by the sea and to explore the Athenian riviera.
The Best Neighborhoods To Stay In Athens
In this first section, we will take a look at the best places to stay in Athens for tourist purposes. The place you will want to choose if you’re visiting Athens to discover museums and archaeological sites and the areas that are best for restaurants, nightlife, and even shopping. We will also tell you which are the most convenient metro stations that you need to keep in mind to visit each of these areas for each of them.
Where To Stay In Plaka
There are several good hotels to stay in, and these are the ones we recommend in the area.
Budget Hotels in Plaka
- Crafoord Place Hostel Athens: Nothing cheaper and more convenient than a hostel if you’re looking to save some money. This hotel is centrally located, and it’s one of the top-rated hostels in the area for service and comfort.
- Antisthenes Guesthouse: This is a fantastic guest house located inside a traditional Neoclassical building from the 19th century. It’s only 600 m from Acropolis Rock and just 100 m from Anafiotika and has a magnificent terrace to enjoy the city views.
- Kimon Hotel Athens: A cozy hotel in a beautiful corner, it offers rooms with balconies facing the picturesque alleys of the neighborhood. The hotel is really comfortable and is within walking distance of plenty of bars, cafés, and restaurants.
Mid-range Hotels in Plaka
- The Athens Version Luxury Suites: A magnificent place to stay with a privileged location in the heart of Plaka, close to every tourist spot you will want to check in Athens. The property features express check-in, allergy-free rooms, and a restaurant, and it also has top reviews.
- Step One Athens: This is a beautiful luxury apartment with very convenient prices set in a wonderful Neoclassical home in the center of Plaka. The venue also offers an à la carte and American breakfast, and it features a super beautiful sun terrace.
- Adrian Hotel: One more mid-range place you can check in Plaka; this hotel offers comfortable accommodation, private balconies, and a rooftop terrace from where the Acropolis Views are stunning.
Luxury Hotels in Plaka
- Muse Urban Suites: This is a top-rated place to stay in Plaka, where the views of the city are simply inspiring. All units here are air-conditioned and a living room with a sofa, a well-equipped kitchen with a dining area, and a private bathroom.
- Acropolis Exclusive Studio: A luxury apartment in the heart of the neighborhood with beautiful decor and all the comforts you need for your stay, either long term or not.
- 360 Degrees: A name that says it all, the 360 panoramic views from this hotel are worth every minute you lodge here! The place, very close to Monastiraki Square, offers a buffet breakfast every day, including vegan and vegetarian options.
Where To Stay In Monastiraki
The area is very safe to stay, and there are plenty of nice places you can choose if you want to stay in Monastiraki, check the following ones.
Budget Hotels in Monastiraki
- Tempi Hotel: This is a super-budget place to stay in Monastiraki; it’s a family-run hotel only meters from the metro station; however, the location is quiet as it is on a pedestrian street.
- Suitas: These are good apartments if you want to stay in the area and experience life the same way locals do. It’s close to the metro and the train station, the main landmarks in the area, and all the apartments have beautiful views of Athens.
- Ciel Living Athens: A comfortable option in Monastiraki, offering check-in, a terrace, allergy-free rooms, a bar, and a restaurant. Ciel Living Athens also has a family room and organizes tours for guests.
Mid-Range Hotels In Monastiraki
- Arethusa Hotel: This is a convenient 3-star hotel in Athens. Guests can enjoy an American breakfast buffet in the dining area or in the room, while drinks and snacks are provided at the bar until late in the evening. The roof garden has seating areas with great panoramic views of the Acropolis.
- 5inAthens: One of our favorite places to stay in Monastiraki, this place offers comfortable apartments with modern amenities and close to every interesting spot in town.
- Mythos Luxury Suites: Located in the neighborhood center, steps away from Ermou Street, the elegant suites feature modern stylish decor, comfortable furniture, and a comfortable seating area.
Luxury Hotels In Monastiraki
- Nsplace: Luxury apartment offering every single comfort and amenity you need for a great stay in the capital of Greece. You’ll find a steam bath, a fitness center, and unforgettable views over the Acropolis among the top facilities.
- Concierge Athens: This is a modern place to stay in Athens, 100 meters from both Monastiraki Flea Market. It features elegant self-catering units ideal for families.
- Amazing Penthouses with Acropolis View: Style and luxury right in the heart of Monastiraki are what you’ll find when booking a stay in this venue. The fully air-conditioned units feature a beautiful terrace, as well as a seating and dining area. The place is perfect if you need to reach the Port of Piraeus as it’s very close to the nearby train station.
Where To Stay In Psirri
These are some of our favorite places to stay in Psirri. Due to the vibe of this fantastic neighborhoods, you’re probably going to love the unique style of most accommodation in the area, pretty much sharing the same hipster vibe.
Budget Hotels In Psirri
- Pella In Hostel: This is one great budget accommodation option in Athens with a central position, close to all the best neighborhoods in town. This hostel also boasts a nice roof-top bar enjoying Acropolis’s views. Accommodation types range from private rooms to single beds, with or without a shared bathroom.
- BED in Athens: This is a great place to stay in the heart of Psirri. Featuring room service, this property also provides a terrace, free WiFi, and fantastic desk space, ideal for digital nomads and people who also work when on holidays!
- Safestay Athens: Great budget accommodation in Psirri. The hotel also features a computer place in the basement lounge and a small rooftop restaurant for great romantic dinners. It’s within walking distance to different bars, restaurants, and nightclubs.
Mid-Range Hotels In Psirri
- The Frogs Guest House: A favorite in the neighborhood, this place maintains all the authenticity of Psirri. It’s housed in a 19th-century neoclassical building, combining classical architecture with modern design.
- Athensotel.com: Another place in the heart of Psirri, the hotel features a fitness center and a spa area with a hot tub and sauna as well as a terrace with city views. Several restaurants and bars are very close to the property.
- Andronis Athens: Located in the center of the Psirri, it offers relaxing interiors with colorful details. Every suite boasts a beautiful dressing room and a seating area. The hotel also offers free use of bicycles and a 24-hour front desk.
Luxury Hotels In Psirri
- 360Degrees Pop Art Hotel: Beautiful place to stay in the area of Psirri, it offers modern accommodation, a retro-style bar, and rooms with air conditioning, a seating area, and modern bathrooms with bathrobes, slippers, and free toiletries.
- A for Athens: Located between Psirri and Monastiraki, this is one of the most famous places to stay in tow for the stunning Acropolis views you can enjoy from the rooftop bar.
- 18 Micon Str: This place is on Mykonos Street, right in the heart of Psirri. Original and trendy, the industrial-style 18 Micon Str. offers uniquely decorated units and a fantastic lounge area, where free coffee and fruits are available daily. The buffet breakfast includes handmade jams and pies, fruits, and a variety of Greek cheese.
Where To Stay In Syntagma
Not all the hotels in the area are upscale luxury accommodation; there are also some convenient places like the ones listed below.
Budget Hotels In Syntagma
- Small Funny World Athens: This is a very good hostel in Syntagma. Here you can choose a single bed and share the room with 13 more guests. There’s an en-suite shared bathroom, a shared kitchen, and part of the rooftop terrace has views to the Acropolis, which is just a 10-minute walk away.
- AthINN Residence: This is one more convenient apart-hotel in Syntagma. The units feature a small kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge, and a kettle. The property also offers a terrace.
- Athens Living Room: This place is a convenient flat, with every necessary comfort, just steps away from the center of Syntagma. It includes a bedroom, a living room, a fully equipped kitchen, and a bathroom.
Mid-Range Hotels In Syntagma
- Carolina Hotel since 1934: This is a 3-star traditional hotel in the heart of Syntagma. It’s housed in a historic neoclassical building, close to the metro station and offering easy access to all parts of the city. Some rooms have a balcony with a table and chairs.
- Omiros Hotel: This property is a 3-star hotel in Syntagma, featuring comfortable rooms very close to the Benaki Museum, the old Olympic Games stadium, and the neighborhood of Plaka too.
- Metis Urbane Living Spaces: Choose this convenient place if you’re looking for a relaxing stay in Athens. Accommodation features a patio or a balcony, free WiFi, a restaurant, and a bar. The apart-hotel offers also serves continental or à la carte breakfast.
Luxury Hotels In Syntagma
- Fos DownTown Suites: Check this 4-star hotel in Syntagma for a luxury stay in Athens. The hotel features family rooms equipped with air conditioning and a desk. Continental breakfast is served daily.
- Athens Capital Center Hotel – MGallery Collection: This is a 5-star hotel in Athens, with unique city views, excellent service, a stylish restaurant, and a beautiful cafeteria. Buffet and American breakfast options are available every morning.
- Hotel Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Athens: Athens’ most famous and exclusive hotel is the Grande Bretagne, right opposite Syntagma Square. This is a multi-awarded hotel, boasting luxurious rooms and amazing city views from the rooftop terrace. Splurge in the marble bathrooms with a vanity counter and a bathtub. The Rooftop area features a restaurant and a poll. There’s a spa with a thermal suite, complete with a grotto, an ice fountain, and an indoor pool.
Where To Stay In Kolonaki
Among the most beautiful places to stay in town, why not checking the stunning Kolonaki Square and the tranquil alleys surrounding the area? These are some of the places we recommend for a stay in Kolonaki.
Budget Hotels In Kolonaki
- Kolonaki Terrace: Check this flat with a beautiful terrace right in the center of Athens and only 300 meters from the Museum of Cycladic Art. Accommodation features a patio, a balcony, and top city views.
- V Residence: This is a great one-bedroom apartment with all the facilities for a comfy yet convenient stay. Continental breakfast is served at the property.
- Kolonaki Cozy Apartment: A great option for a couple, this place in Kolonaki is comfortable and centrally located, within walking distance from the War Museum, the Byzantine Museum, and Kolonaki Square.
Mid-Range Hotels In Kolonaki
- Likavittos Apartments: These apartments are in a central building facing the beautiful Lycabettus Hill. The units are air-conditioned units and feature a living room, an equipped kitchen, and a balcony with views over the city.
- Duke Boutique Suites: A great place with a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a fitness center, a bar, and shared lounge, and a sauna. There’s also a business center and a snack bar.
- Monsieur Didot: A beautiful place in Kolonaki, Monsieur Didot is a flat with a terrace and comfortable features; guests can choose to have continental breakfast served during their stay.
Luxurious Hotels In Kolonaki
- Hotel Lozenge: This is a great 4-star hotel in Athens, in the heart of the Kolonaki neighborhood that features a bar and restaurant serving Mediterranean cuisine. The place has modern decorations and comfortable rooms with balconies.
- Coco-Mat Hotel Athens: Perfect 4-star hotel in Kolonaki, with comfortable features including the famous natural mattresses that have made this hotel chain well-known all over the country.
- COCO-MAT Athens Jumelle: 5-star accommodation in Athens featuring a restaurant, fitness center, a bar, and garden. Family rooms are also available, and a buffet breakfast is served every morning.
Best Hotel in Thisseio
- Hotel Thissio: Ideal both for couples and families, the venue has an impressive view of the Acropolis from its rooftop terrace. The restaurant serves creative dishes and a variety of Greek wines. Breakfast includes fresh juices, omelets, sandwiches, and crepes. Cocktails and beverages are prepared at the stylish hotel’s bar. Meals and drinks are also served at the decked terrace on the top floor. The closest metro station is Thisseio, only 300 meters from the property.
Best Hotel In Koukaki
- Acropolis View Hotel: This is a fabulous hotel in Athens with a magnificent rooftop terrace. Every day, guests can enjoy an American breakfast in the breakfast room or enjoy a cocktail in the afternoon, soaking in the Parthenon views from the terrace.
Best Hotel In Piraeus
- Phidias Piraeus Hotel: This excellent 2-star hotel in the center of Piraeus is an excellent choice if you’re traveling from the port. Among the offered amenities, we highlight the free shuttle service and a handy smartphone for unlimited international and local calls. Rooms are bright and air-conditioned. The hotel serves homemade breakfast too.
Where Not To Stay In Athens
As with many important cities in Europe, there are a few neighborhoods we don’t think are the most convenient or safest in Athens, so you should be better if avoiding these areas.
Places such as Metaxourgeio, Exarchia, or Omonia can be very crowded and not really safe to walk at night, especially for solo travelers.
Although you could find cheap accommodation in these areas, it’s always wiser to avoid them.