Bulgaria Travel Blog
We travel Bulgaria seeking out Bulgarian food, wine, the best things to do in Bulgaria, & accommodation in Bulgaria for you.
Currency: Bulgarian Lev
Bulgaria Official Language: Bulgarian
Bulgarian Fun Facts: 100+ Bulgarian facts coming soon
UNESCO Sites: Bulgaria has nine sites. Read about them here
Driving: Some complications. Driving guide here
International Airports In Bulgaria: Burgas Airport, Sofia Airport, Plovdiv Airport, and Varna Airport.
Bulgarian Population: 6,996,847
Capital City: Sofia
National Day: 3rd March
Timezone: UTC +2 (UTC +3 during summer).
The Republic of Bulgaria lies in South Eastern Europe and shares borders with Romania, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, and North Macedonia. It is the 16th largest country in Europe and covers an area of 110,994 square km. The country has seen several rulers and regimes over the centuries and was also part of the Roman and Ottoman Empires at different times.
Bulgaria boasts of ample diversity in natural geography and wildlife and is also home to over 150 endangered plants. Unspoiled beaches and lush nature, ancient monasteries and beautiful churches, magnificent palaces and stoic historical monuments add the charm of visiting Bulgaria.
The capital, Sofia attracts theatre enthusiasts to the Ivan Vazov National Theatre as much as it attracts tourists to see the Aleksander Nevski Crypt, Daralevtsi Monastery, and other sites. Whether you visit ancient cobblestoned cities like Plodiv or modern cities like Sofia, Bulgaria will send you away with a bucketful of memories.
Things To Do In Bulgaria: So many! Start here for a few ideas
Top Things To Do In Bulgaria:
- Take a tour of Rila Monastery.
- Go skiing at Vitosha Mountain national park.
- Marvel at the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
- Take a stroll at Varna Sea Garden
- Explore the old town of Sozopol
- Admire the beautiful Botanical Gardens and Palace in Balchik.
- Visit the National History Museum of Bulgaria
- Visit the fort of Baba Vida in Vidin
- Visit the UNESCO heritage Boyana Church in Sofia
- Visit the Devil’s Throat cave
- Halls of Thunder
- Cross the haunted Devil’s Bridge in Ardino
- Taste the rare Cherni Vit cheese that almost vanished from existence
- Look up at the sky through the Eyes of God in the Prohodna Cave.
- See where 40 maidens leaped into the sea, Cape Kaliakra
- Visit the old rock-cut caves at Aladzha Monastery
- Walk through the ruins of the 4th century Red Church
- Drink the local Mavrud wine and rakija brandy
Significant Places Not To Skip:
- The ancient town of Nessebar
- Old Town Plovdiv
- Sofia, a modern yet ancient city
- Kaliakra Nature Reserve
- Beautiful seaside Burgas
- Bansko, the skiing Mecca
- Colorful Koprivshtitsa
- Veliko Tarnovo, the City of Tsars
- Sophisticated Varna
- Pirin National Park
- Ancient Thracian city of Perperikon.
- The stunning old town of Melnik
Bulgarian Traditional Food:
- Lozovi Sarmi or grape leaves stuffed with mince
- Shkembe or tripe soup
- Banitsa pastry stuffed with cheese
- Kebapche or kebabs
- Gyuvech or beef stew\Shopska Salata, a simple yet delicious salad
- Tarator or cucumber soup
- Lyutenista, tomato and red pepper relish
- Sirene cheese
- Tikvenik or pumpkin pastry for dessert