Here is how to choose between Cyprus or Greece. This guide will help you navigate weighing up Greece Vs. Cyprus for your vacation.
Unless you’re blessed with the opportunity to work on the go, or you’re retired, you are probably trying to figure out which vacation spot to go to this year because you can’t see everything on your bucket list – right?
It’s a common problem.
There are endless places to visit and not enough time, but many people struggle to choose between the two countries, Greece and Cyprus.
Both are amazing in their own right and offer everything you could need for a summer break and more. But, if you are short on time, you must decide between the two.
In that case, let’s pit them against one another and see if you prefer Cyprus or Greece.Keep reading below for our in-depth analysis on weighing up Greece vs. Cyprus.
Greece Vs. Cyprus
Greece is indeed one of the most popular year-round destinations, but it’s also on almost everyone’s must-visit lists during the summer. The capital city, Athens, is one of the most historic spots in the world, with the Acropolis certainly something everyone should see at least once.
But it’s not just the capital. The mainland has some fantastic places to visit, with nature, history, and extraordinary beaches. The beaches are jaw-dropping, and because there are so many islands to choose from (7000 in total, but only 227 are inhabited), there will always be somewhere that suits your needs. However, the islands are definitely what most people think about when they consider a summer holiday.
Each island in Greece has little culture, food, and a sight to see. Choosing a Greek island is almost like choosing a tiny country to visit. The other plus point is that you can island hop via ferry, so you’re never stuck in one particular destination.
We’ve found so many fun things to do on the Greek islands – here are just a few guides to get you started, but definitely browse the blog, as we’ve got so many more!
Reasons To Visit Greece
- Greece is a huge country with plenty of choices. You can easily visit the capital, the mainland, or one of the many islands
- You can island hop and even hop from the mainland over to different islands
- Each island is individual and shows you a different side of Greek life
- There are more beaches in Greece than there are numbers, so you’re sure to find a spot with fewer crowds
- Athens is the center of the Ancient Greek civilization and is a number one spot for history buffs
- Athens is also a busy metropolis which gives you a great city break option with modern-day fun and history to boot
- Lots of options for exploring, so you’re unlikely to get bored
- Greek food! Need we say more?
- Diving around the Greek Islands is fantastic, with a wide range of marine life – including turtles!
- Plenty of low-cost flights during the summer months, and you can usually shop for deals
- Some islands, such as Mykonos and Zante, are fantastic for nightlife, while others are known for being quieter and more low-key
Reasons Not To Visit Greece
- You might be unable to choose where to go because it’s so big
- Greece can be an expensive country to visit. Here are our budget tips for Greece
- During the summer months, there are crowds EVERYWHERE
- Athens is always busy, regardless of the month, and visiting the Acropolis can be extremely hot and stressful during the summer. Maybe choose a hotel with an Acropolis view
- Winter weather in Greece can be very changeable and often be rainy, snowy, and cold
Cyprus Vs. Greece
Cyprus is much smaller than Greece, but that’s not necessarily bad! Nestled in the Eastern Mediterranean, close to the Middle East, Cyprus is blessed with beautiful and mild weather all year around. While there can be an odd storm during the winter months, on the whole, it’s mild and less rainy than in Greece during this time of year.
Because Cyprus is tiny, you can get around and see a lot on your own steam. You don’t have to use ferries to see different places; you can use taxis, buses or hire a car and drive. Cyprus is often a cheaper holiday experience than Greece, especially if you visit during the shoulder season months.
Nicosia is a charming capital city that offers modern entertainment and all the big city fun you could wish for, but it’s much less bustling and overwhelming than Athens can be. There are also many stunning beaches within easy reach of the capital and beyond.
Reasons To Visit Cyprus
So, is Cyprus worth visiting – yes, here is why;
- Thanks to its eastern location, wonderful weather all year around, and often less windy than Greece
- Plenty of low-cost flights head to Cyprus in the summer months, and it tends to be a cheaper holiday than Greece
- Because Cyprus is smaller, it’s an excellent choice for a shorter holiday, and you won’t feel like you’re missing out on anything
- Beautiful beaches, including Nissi Beach, which is often considered one of the best in Europe
- Fantastic diving opportunities
- Cyprus offers many natural spots to visit, such as the hidden sand dunes in Limassol or the flamingos in Larnaca. Avakas Gorge is also a must-visit for keen hikers
- Everything is within easy reach, so there is no need to travel too far
Reasons Not To Visit Cyprus
- Cyprus is entirely commercialized during the summer, as it has to pack all its tourist bang into a small area
- You’ll find that Cyprus, in general, is less rustic than Greece
- Many people feel that Cyprus has quite a British vibe, which may or may not be an issue for you
- There is less “history” than in Greece
- It’s bustling during the summer months, and you’ll notice the crowds because of its smaller size
So, Which Is Best – Greece Or Cyprus?
In all honesty, both Greece and Cyprus are perfect choices. Neither is better or worse than the other; it depends on what you want and enjoy.
If your final choice is between Greece or Cyprus, you truly won’t miss out!