We may earn commission from affiliate links →
Exploring Istanbul With Kids: A Guide To The City’s Best Family-Friendly Attractions
Are you looking to plan the perfect vacation to Istanbul with children? Then you’ve come to the right place! In this article, we’ll take a closer look at all the best family-friendly attractions Istanbul offers. From bustling markets and ancient ruins to cozy cafes and vibrant nightlife, there’s something for everyone in the city of Istanbul. Read on for our ultimate guide to exploring the city with kids!
Istanbul For Kids & Its Family-Friendly Attractions
For good reason, Istanbul is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. The city is a melting pot of cultures, with a rich history and plenty of things to see and do. It can be an overwhelming city for first-time visitors, but it’s also a great place to bring kids. There are plenty of family-friendly attractions in Istanbul that will keep everyone entertained.
The best way to get around Istanbul is by taking the tram. It’s cheap and efficient; some trams go to major tourist areas. If you stay in Sultanahmet (the old city), you can easily walk to most sights. The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace are all within walking distance of each other.
Istanbul has some great museums that are perfect for families. The Istanbul Archaeology Museum is filled with fascinating artifacts from throughout history. The museum is in Sultanahmet, so you can combine it with visiting the Blue Mosque or Hagia Sophia. The Pera Museum is another excellent option, and it has a special Kids’ Corner where children can learn about art through hands-on activities.
If you want something more active, take the kids to Miniatürk Park. This huge park has models of iconic Turkish landmarks, including several Ottoman mosques. Kids will love running around and exploring all the different miniature buildings. Or take a boat ride on the Bosphorus.
Things To Do In Istanbul With Kids
Istanbul is a city full of culture, history, and natural beauty. It’s also an excellent place for families to visit, my family was there in February 2023, and our boys enjoyed themselves. Istanbul has plenty of kid-friendly attractions; here are some of the best must-see sights in Istanbul for kids:
For a truly unique experience, head to Miniatürk – a miniature open-air park with over 60 models of famous Turkish landmarks. The kids will love seeing all the sights in miniature form.
The Blue Mosque
The Blue Mosque is one of the most iconic landmarks in Istanbul. It’s famous for its beautiful blue tiles and six minarets. Kids will love exploring the mosque’s ample interior space and learning about its history.
Another of Istanbul’s must-see sights is the Hagia Sophia. This ancient building was once a church, then a mosque, and is now a museum. Kids can marvel at the Hagia Sophia’s grand architecture and learn about its fascinating past.
Topkapi Palace was once the home of the Ottoman sultans and their families. Today, it’s one of the Istanbul attractions for kids that can last hours! It is now a museum where kids can explore opulent palaces and rooms, learn about life in the Ottoman Court, and see treasures from around the world. Try to find the giant diamond.
The Bosphorus Strait
A visit to Istanbul wouldn’t be complete without a cruise on the Bosphorus Strait. This waterway divides Europe and Asia and offers stunning views of both sides of the city. Kids will love seeing all the different ships that pass through – from ferries to cargo ships to yachts.
The Basilica Cistern in Istanbul, Turkey, is a must-see for kids! This underground wonderland was built in the 6th century and is full of fascinating history. Three hundred thirty-six columns support the cavernous space, and two Medusa heads can be found among them. Kids will love exploring this unique place and imagining what life was like in ancient times.
Between 428 and 443, Theodosius II built it to store water from the Valens Aqueduct. This redistribution led to the construction of the Theodosius Cistern, which was built when the Aqueduct of Valens was redistributed from its original supply to the Nymphaeum, the Baths of Zeuxippus, and the Great Palace of Constantinople.
Approximately 45 by 25 meters (148 by 82 feet) in size, the roof is supported by 32 marble columns about 9 meters (30 feet) high. After eight years of restoration, it is now open to the public and a place where kids will find kind of spooky and creepy.
Not exactly the most obvious Istanbul attractions for kids, but if you’re looking for a fun and educational activity to do with your kids while in Istanbul, Turkey, then be sure to take the tram a few stops from Sultanahmet to the “Egyptian Spice Market.” This market is full of colors, smells, and sounds that will stimulate your senses and teach your kids about the different spices used in Turkish cuisine. You can also find souvenirs and gifts to take home with you.
If you want to keep things more low-key, check out any of the city’s many park areas – the perfect place to eat some of the local street food and rest weary little legs.
Catholic Cathedral Compound
Catholic Cathedral compound (built in the early 20th Century by Italian traders) is another great stop for families. The Catholic Cathedral Compound is a beautiful and historic site situated on the banks of the Bosphorus Strait and offers stunning views of the cityscape. The compound also houses a museum, which contains an extensive collection of artifacts from the Byzantine era.
If you’re looking for a fun and memorable shopping experience with your kids, the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul is a great option! With its endless stalls and vibrant atmosphere, the bazaar is sure to captivate your little ones. And, of course, there’s plenty of shopping to be done! You’ll find everything from traditional Turkish souvenirs to handcrafted jewelry, toys, clothes, and textiles. Haggling is expected (and even encouraged!), so don’t be afraid to let the older kids try and bargain for a good deal.
When in Istanbul, visiting the Galata Tower is a must – especially if you have kids! They’ll love riding the elevator to the top of the tower for panoramic views of the city. And if you time it right, you can watch the sunset over the city from up high. Make sure to bring your camera to capture this special moment.
Note: This is one of those kid’s activities in Istanbul unsuitable for small kids. The elevator only takes you so far; you must climb two sets of stairs to reach the top. And then, on the way back down, you have to walk down a narrow spiral staircase. It’s easy enough with kids over five years, but you’ll want to skip this activity if you have small kids with a pram.
Galata Port Area
The Galata Port Area in Istanbul is a great place to take your children to burn off steam. With its wide open spaces, they can chase the birds and run about. From here, you can also take boat rides to Beyoğlu or the Asian part of Istanbul.
Along the bridge, there are always people fishing, which is always fun to watch and see what they catch. This area has beautiful cityscape views, so be sure to have your camera handy.
Find The Right Museum For Your Family
A trip to Istanbul for kids is made extra easy with these city museums:
Rahmi M. Koc Museum
The Rahmi M. Koc Museum in Istanbul is a must-see for any maritime history and culture fan. It features an impressive collection of over 100,000 items. Visitors can explore the museum’s nine galleries, which cover topics such as shipbuilding, navigation, naval warfare, and more. The Rahmi M. Koc Museum is also home to a library and research center, making it the perfect place to learn more about Turkey’s rich maritime heritage.
Istanbul Toy Museum
The Istanbul Toy Museum is a great place to take the kids for a fun day out. With over 10,000 toys on display, there is something for everyone to enjoy. The museum also has a cafe and a shop so that you can make a day of it.
Ural Ataman Classic Car Museum
The Ural Ataman Classic Car Museum in Istanbul is a must-see for any car lover. The museum houses an impressive collection of classic cars from all over the world, including some rare and unique specimens. The museum is also home to several interactive exhibits, which make it an excellent place for a family day in Istanbul.
Take The Ferry To Princes’ Islands
The Princes’ Islands (Turkish: Adalar) are a group of nine islands in the Sea of Marmara at the southern entrance to the Bosphorus. Seven of the islands are populated and popular tourist destinations for Istanbulites and visitors to the city.
The Princes’ Islands were once used as a place of exile for political prisoners during the Ottoman Empire, and today they maintain a relaxed and laid-back atmosphere. Visitors can enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides, swim in the sea, or take in the stunning views. The largest and most popular of the islands is Büyükada, home to several historical sites.
This is one of the kid’s activities in Istanbul that parents will enjoy as there are also many restaurants and cafes on the islands, making them the perfect place to relax and enjoy a family day out.
These are just some things to do in Istanbul with kids; you can find more ideas here in this Istanbul guide.
Where To Eat With Kids In Istanbul
Istanbul has a range of great places to eat with kids. Here are some of our favorites:
- Last Ottoman Cafe & Restaurant: The last Ottoman cafe in Istanbul is a must-visit for anyone interested in the city’s rich history. The cafe is located in the heart of the city, and it serves up traditional Turkish coffee and delicious pastries all kids will enjoy. The cafe’s decor is very traditional and has a cozy and inviting atmosphere. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and always happy to chat with customers about the city’s history.
- Sultan Palace Cafe Restaurant: Easy to find, the Sultan Palace Cafe Restaurant is ona sidestreet at Alemdar, Biçki Yurdu Sk. No:1, 34122 Fatih. It serves up the yummies pide with many options to choose from – all traditional Turkish options and the place is laid back and family-friendly
- Sofra Restaurant: If you’re looking for something more traditional, Sofra is an excellent option. The menu features Turkish classics like kebabs and meze platters and a selection of vegetarian options. The restaurant has a cozy atmosphere and a playground nearby if the kids need to let off some steam
- Pudding Shop Lale: This eatery has authentic food and is very easy to get to. They serve their famous Turkish rice pudding that all kids love!
- Pizza e Birra: This popular pizza chain has several branches across Istanbul, making it a convenient option for families. There’s also a play area for kids, making it a great place to simultaneously eat and entertain the little ones. The pizzas are tasty, and the prices are reasonable
- Tariq’s Diner: This fun American-style diner is decorated with vintage memorabilia and serves classic dishes like burgers and fries. The portions are generous, and an outdoor seating area is perfect for families with young children
Tips For Traveling Safely With Children In Istanbul
When traveling with children in Istanbul, you must be aware of your surroundings and take precautions to ensure your safety. Here are some tips for traveling safely with children in Istanbul:
- Avoid crowds by waking up early and seeing the sights as soon as they open
- Stay close to your children at all times
- Keep a close eye on your belongings, as pickpockets are known to operate in busy areas of Istanbul
- Use public transportation only during daylight hours
- Do not leave your children unattended in public places, such as hotels, restaurants, or shops, even for a moment
Where To Stay When Visiting Istanbul With Children
There are plenty of great places to stay in Istanbul with kids. If you’re looking for a hotel that’s centrally located and close to all the city’s best family-friendly attractions, we recommend:
- The Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at the Bosphorus: This five-star hotel offers spacious accommodations, an on-site pool, and a kids’ club and is just a short walk from many of Istanbul’s top sights like the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque
If you’re on a budget, plenty of great-value hotels in Istanbul are perfect for families.:
- The Pera Palace Hotel is a historic hotel that has been renovated to offer modern amenities while maintaining its old-world charm. The hotel is in the Pera district of Istanbul, just a short walk from the famous Istiklal Street
- Another superb budget-friendly option is the Otel Zeyrek, which offers simple but comfortable rooms in a convenient location near many of Istanbul’s top attractions
For a mid-range choice very close to The Blue Mosque, we enjoyed our family stayed at the Alzer Hotel.
The Alzer Hotel, located in Istanbul’s famous Sultanahmet area, is ideal for those looking for a comfortable and convenient base from which to explore the city. The prime location opposite the Blue Mosque allows guests to experience the best of Istanbul.
With its high-quality amenities, the King Suite at Alzer Hotel is ideal for visitors looking to see Istanbul elegantly. However, the King Suite’s main selling point is its breathtaking sight of the Blue Mosque and the Mediterranean. Waking up with a view of one of the world’s most magnificent buildings and the sea is an unforgettable experience.
Final Thoughts On Traveling To Istanbul As A Family
Istanbul is a city rich in history and culture, making it the perfect destination for families looking to explore together. From its iconic mosques and Ottoman architecture to its bustling markets and thriving nightlife, there’s something for everyone in Istanbul.
Now that you’ve read our guide to family fun in Istanbul, we hope you’re inspired to start planning your trip to Istanbul with children. Whether you’re looking for educational activities, outdoor adventures, or simply a chance to relax and enjoy some of the world’s most delicious food, this city has it all.
Now you are 100% ready to explore Istanbul with kids with our guide to the city’s best family-friendly attractions. As always, for a family vacation, remember to pack plenty of water, sunscreen, and snacks!
- Best Hotels In Cappadocia Turkey
- Best Places To Visit In Turkey For Every Type Of Traveler
- Incredible Black Sea Resorts
- Hotels In Cappadocia Turkey
- What To Pack For Turkey
- 5 Reasons To Visit Gallipoli, Turkey
- How To Get From Istanbul To Cappadocia
- Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Ride Tips
- Greek Island Day Trip From Southern Turkey
- How To Get Around In Istanbul
- Turkish Hammam Tips To Know Before You Go
- Biggest Tourist Scams In Istanbul To Avoid