Slovenia Travel Blog: Best Spas in Slovenia
Slovenia is a small green dot on the world map, situated right in the heart of Europe. With unspoiled nature and opulent spa and wellness offers, the country never ceases to amaze. Slovenia may be small, but with the diverse natural and mineral springs scattered all over the region, it certainly can satisfy every spa and wellness taste, even for the most demanding guests.
It was the Romans who first recognized the health benefits obtained from local waters. We can thank the Romans who developed highly sophisticated thermal springs, spas, and saunas which we still use in some form today.
Spa and wellness tourism has a long tradition in Slovenia. Recorded mentions of Dolenjske Toplice/Spa dates way back to 1228, and pools accompanying guest homes made their debut in 1767. In the modern day, wellness and spa tourism is the only one that hasn’t suffered negative recession influences and instead has managed to grow and develop.
Why is that you ask? Three main reasons:
- Spa and wellness offers are available and at your service all year round, in all weather conditions.
- Awareness of a healthy and holistic lifestyle is not just on the rise but becoming the new normal. The vast diversity of treatments, exercises, and products from all over the world are more available than ever. It seems like everyone is an expert on balanced diet or mind-body well-being.
- The European population isn’t getting any younger, and the need to address more health issues with the aging is growing rapidly.
And who doesn’t want to stay fit and look gorgeous as long as possible, feeling healthy in every life stage?
Help is at hand with over 130 spa and wellness resorts in Slovenia and their exclusive and diverse selection of beauty-body-mind treatments. Slovenia is home to 87 natural thermal springs with water temperature between 32 and 73 degrees Celsius. Visitors will be pampered at these springs and resorts, from medical therapy (related to the convalescence and rehabilitation) to aesthetic and cosmetic sessions of pure relaxation and pleasure.
To help you choose the perfect oasis of relaxation in Slovenia, let’s take a closer look at 15 certified Natural Health Resorts with their excellent medical services. Most are located in inland Slovenia with the exception of two resorts on the coast. All have their own specific features, treatments for different conditions and healing characteristics of the thermal water.
Best Spas in Slovenia
1. Čatež Thermal Spa, Čatež ob Savi
Feeling any back or muscle pain? Čatež Spa in eastern Slovenia near the Croatian border is for you. Set in lush nature, this resort is the largest and most popular thermal pool complex with regular guests from all over Europe. Health programs and wellness services, water programs, sports and recreation, golf and fine dining are on site along with 25 tepees in the Indian village and 20 lagoon cabins in the Pirate Bay for unique sleeping options.
- Therapies for guests include physiotherapy and isokinetics along with curative, parapalegic rehabilitation and anti-cellulite/anti-rheumatic programs.
- At the health and beauty center, guests enjoy a variety of massage options – traditional manual massage, manual and machine lymphatic drainage, reflex zone foot massage, tui-na, ayurveda, Thalgo, watsu, aromatherapy, pearl baths, underwater massage, and pampering in Roman-Irish baths for total relaxation of mind and body.
- Hotel Čatež offers wellness programs with special rituals are designed for total physical and mental relaxation for individuals and couples: hot-stone massage, aroma soul massage, relaxation and beauty programs, programs for two, etc.
- Step into eight saunas at the Sauna Park in the Winter Thermal Riviera – crystal, steam, extreme, salt, infrared, Finnish aroma, aquaviva, open-air Indian sauna – for soothing muscle relaxation.
Thermal water spring temperature: 58 – 63 degrees Celsius
2. Dobrna Thermal Spa, Dobrna
Thermal Spa Dobrna is Slovenia’s oldest working health resort from ancient Celt and Roman times. Anti-inflammatory thermal water, a pleasant bioclimate therapy, and natural peloids are main factors that help in the treatment of a variety of problems. Famous for centuries as a place for treating a full spectrum of gynecological conditions, guests will find unique fertility programs available.
- Guests therapies include physiotherapy, occupational therapy and traditional or laser acupuncture.
- Other services include wraps and baths, fertility, incontinence and gynecological programs and even acupuncture when pregnant.
- Soothing massages of intriguing varieties (chocolate, honey, Tibet, Thai, Mediterranean, Tui–na to name a few) are the highlight at “hiša na travniku”(house in the meadow) Massage and Beauty Centre.
- Body sculpting, slimming and drainage procedures are popular with guests.
- In the “land of saunas” enjoy seven steam and Finnish saunas along with other relaxing options like cold-warm pools, an ice room for cooling down and vitamin bar.
- Don’t forget the large terrace suitable for nude sunbathing!
Thermal water temperature: 35 – 36, 5 degrees Celsius
3. Olimia Thermal Spa, Podčetrtek
Located in the countryside by the Sotla River is the Olimia Thermal Spa. The natural healing Olimia spring water, although slightly radioactive is actually suitable for drinking. Pamper yourself with relaxation massages, the oriental rituals of a Turkish bath, and a rest in a Japanese garden. Visitors will also enjoy one of 9 different kinds of saunas, bathing in silicon-rich water and the playful excitement of an outdoor thermal park.
- Guests can opt for Physio, Hydro, Electro, Mecano, Thermo, and Magneto – therapies.
- Special curative programs for easing lower back pain, rehabilitation following sports injuries, treatment of rheumatic illnesses and skin diseases are available.
Thermal water temperature: 30 to 37 degrees Celsius
4. Radenci Health Resort, Sava Hotels & Resorts, Radenci
Terme Radenci is set in vineyard-covered hills along the river Mura. In 1869 the first bottle of “Radenska” mineral water was filled and later supplied to the imperial court in Vienna and the papal court in Rome. Here, witness a rare phenomenon when mineral water and thermo-mineral water come out of the ground side by side. Visitors can enjoy therapies available due to the water’s healing properties, including thermo-mineral bathing.
The modern spa complex offers medical and preventive programs for cardiovascular, kidney and urinary tract and rheumatic diseases along with metabolic disorders.
- The modern spa complex offers medical and preventive programs for cardiovascular, kidney and urinary tract and rheumatic diseases along with metabolic disorders.
- A special feature of Terme Radenci is the Ayurveda Centre, offering Ayurvedic massage with aromatic oils and individually adapted diets, all designed to achieve harmony of body and spirit.
- Also available at the Ayurveda Centre is massage with stones, and Thai massage, shiatsu, traditional massage, reflex zone foot massage, aromatherapy, and more.
Thermal water temperature: 34 to 37 degrees Celsius
5. Rogaška Health Resort, Rogaška Slatina
A modern thermal riviera and pool complex with thermo-mineral water, wellness centers, and beauty programs are the most important reasons to visit Rogaška, but not the only ones.
The natural mineral water of Rogaška is Donat Mg, a one-liter bottle of this water contains over 1000 mg of magnesium – water with the highest mineral content in the world! Drinking the water helps with a variety of diseases and health conditions and bathing in the water is excellent for promoting body movement health (both in circulation and muscle movement).
Water temperature: 31 to 36 degrees in pools and 59 degrees Celsius in the spring
6. Šmarješke Toplice Health Resort, Šmarješke Toplice
Vitarium is a modern health resort Spa & Clinique Centre offering a broad range of effective medical wellness programs and services along with pampering bringing the utmost relaxation. (slimming programs, detoxification programs) and pampering.
- Guests enjoy slimming and detoxification programs.
- At the Vitarium Spa & Clinique embrace programs for good health, improved wellbeing, restored physical energy, a healthy and attractive appearance, and excellent physical and mental condition. The programs are based on a natural approach with measurable effects.
- Romantic weekend needed? Indulge in a wellness package for two.
- Stop in at Vitarium Aqua, a world of thermal pools, baths, and saunas set in a luxurious setting.
7. Talaso Strunjan Spa & Hotels, Strunjan
This Spa has a prime location by the sea in the middle of a nature park known for its steep cliffs, Mediterranean diet, vegetation and millennium-old salt pans. Talaso Strunjan is a thalassotherapy center where you can experience the effects of the sea climate, heated sea water pools and the application of sea mud and sea salt in beauty and health treatments.
- Guests can opt for physiotherapy along with curative, weight loss and relaxation programs.
- At the Thalasso Center Salia try something unique – a salt worker’s massage. Other massage styles include thalasso, Zen Shiatsu, massage with hot volcanic stones, and massage with chocolate or honey.
- Try a peel with salt, oil or seaweed or treat your skin to aromatherapy, anti-cellulite care, facials and more.
8. Terme & Wellness LifeClass Portorož, Portorož
Terme & Wellness LifeClass combines five local natural medicinal elements: salt-pan mud (fango), brine (Aqua Madre), the coastal climate, sea water and thermo-mineral water. These natural foundations are complemented by the ancient wisdom of the Far East and the latest medical knowledge.
- Swimming pools are filled with Prehistoric Sea (approximately 23 degrees Celsius) known for beneficial effects on the skin and aid in body detox and general well-being.
- Join morning exercises, aqua aerobics or Pilates routines.
- Participate in organized walks and cycling, play a match on the tennis court, or spend an afternoon playing mini-golf or water sports.
- Nearby nature parks are perfect for outdoor explorers: Strunjan and the Sečovlje salt pans
- Reconnect with nature by bird-watching.
9. Terme 3000 – Moravske Toplice, Sava Hotels & Resorts, Moravske Toplice
The unique black thermo-mineral water found at this spa helps in the treatment of rheumatic illnesses, diseases of the respiratory system and skin and rehabilitation following injuries or surgeries.
- Guests can opt for Hydro, Kinesio, Electro, Mecano, Thermo and Ultraviolet Photo – therapies.
- Anti-stress, anti-rheumatism, osteoporosis, slimming and relaxation programs are available, just to name a few.
- At Thermalium relax with baths, massage, Ayurveda and other beauty care specialties.
- Livada Wellness Centre offers five unique massage styles (Grand Livada, Gold, Spring Flower, Flowering Summer and Spring Awakening).
10. Terme Dolenjske Toplice, Dolenjske Toplice
Experienced and highly trained experts provide a wide range of programs for relaxation, pampering, and health at this spa, including pampering programs for couples.
- From diagnostics to underwater massage, spine traction to paraffin compresses, the number of therapies available is impressive.
- Excellent treatment programs for osteoporosis, rheumatism and easing back pain are available.
- Massages – shiatsu, hot and cold stone, Tibetan sound, Lomi-Lomi Hawaiian, chocolate, honey and grape skin – to name a few, along with massage baths of exotic flavors are popular.
- At the Vitasalin Vitality Centre re-energize in the bioenergy room.
- Perhaps give yourself a little boost with botox, jet peel, dermal fillers or chemical exfoliation.
11. Terme Lendava, Sava Hotels & Resorts, Lendava
Terme Lendava, a place where Slovenia, Hungary, and Croatia meet, is the perfect mix of outstanding natural, cultural and ethnological features. It’s a magical place where storks nest and where more than 4,000 vineyards in the Lendava hills produce fine wines.
In 1965, the unique thermo-mineral paraffin water with its green reflections was discovered. The water’s miraculous rejuvenating powers led to the building of the spa. The green water with its high paraffin content is the basis for balneotherapy.
- Guests can opt for Hydro, Kinesio, Electro, Mecano, Thermo, and Magneto – therapies.
- Anti-pain, rehabilitation, rheumatic and osteoporosis programs are well developed.
- Complete your wellness with anti-stress programs, aromatherapy, massage with stones and time in the pan thermal regeneration chamber.
12. Terme Ptuj, Sava Hotels & Resorts, Ptuj
One of the youngest spas in Slovenia is located near Slovenia’s oldest town of Ptuj, a place where the winter is chased away by “kurenti” – Slovenia’s most interesting ethnological carnival event. This Thermal Park offers 4,200 m2 of pools and numerous water attractions, includes campsites for tents and caravans and has holiday chalets for guests to stay on site.
- Guests can opt for Hydro, Kinesio, Electro, Mecano, Thermo, and Magneto – therapies.
- Along with licensed physiatrics specialist, private specialist clinics are provided.
- At the Valens Augusta take a dip in pools with thermo-mineral water, relax in 6 types of sauna, indulge in massages of various types (aroma, sport, Japanese, hot stone, herbal bundles, foot and palm reflexology or anti-stress head and neck)
- Participate in fitness programs of all kinds– KINESIS, Yoga, Tibetan exercises and more.
13. Terme Topolšica, Topolšica
Since the 16th century, Thermal springs in Topolšica (near the town of Velenje), attracts visitors with a beautiful, unspoiled mountain setting. The mountain climate offers an ideal environment for treating respiratory ailments, milder forms of chronic cardiovascular disease and stress.
Terme Topolšica is a modern health resort offering spa and recreational services, quality hotel accommodation, wellness and medical services and excellent cuisine.
- Guests can opt for Hydro, Kinesio, Electro, Reiki, Thermo, and Shiatsu – therapies.
- Anti-stress, relaxation and restorative rehabilitation programs are quite popular.
- Other therapeutic treatments include massage, mud baths, thermal baths, aromatherapy, and acupuncture.
14. Thermana d.d., Hotels & Resorts, Laško
For all beer lovers this must be heaven – some beer baths maybe? With unique offerings and stimulating waters, which help to re-establish energy balance, many visitors rest at Thermana each year.
- Guests can opt for Balneo, Kinesio, Electro, Magnetic, Thermo and Occupational – therapies.
- Those who suffer from lower back pain, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia and those with rheumatic diseases will find a wide range of programs to fit their needs.
- At the Beauty and Health Centre and Wellness, Spa Centre try natural care for the face and body, along with a variety of paths, pedicures, and massages (classic, Ayurveda, aroma, reflex zone, anti-cellulite, shiatsu, Thai, aroma soul, massage with hot stones, etc.)
15. Zreče – Rogla Health Resort, Zreče
Here, warm acratothermal water, invigorating baths, soothing compresses and traditional medical therapies strengthen health and improve well-being.
You can choose from a wide range of massages in combination with healing herbs, essential oils, salts and (volcanic) mud.
- Guests can opt for Hydro, Kinesio, Mechano Electro, and Thermo – therapies.
- In the Sauna Village, visitors can experience Turkish, Finnish and infrared saunas complete with Kneipp stream, heated ceramic beds, cooling pool and a sun terrace.
- Also available in the Sauna Village – peeling treatments with local herbs, salt or sugar.
- Massages of all varieties (manual, reflex, aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Garshan with salt crystals or mud, Tui-na, Shiatsu, Soy Soy, honey or chocolate) and baths (pearl, herbal and milk) will have your muscles rested in no time.
- Sawaddee, a traditional Thai therapy center provides traditional Thai, Sawaddee, and Siam massages, including those designed specifically for expecting mothers.
Water temperature: 34, 5 degrees Celsius
In between all of the spa treaments there is so much to see in Slovenia, you can try getting having enchanting experience in a castle or head to a cave. After that, it’s up to you to choose the perfect option for you health and wellness.
Which spa in Slovenia is calling to you?