Should you visit Crete or Corfu? This guide shares detailed information about weighing up Corfu vs. Crete. We cover the top attractions and the best day trip ideas.
Are you looking for a paradise-like destination to spend your next holiday in Greece? Then, two of the most popular Greek islands that come to mind are Crete and Corfu. These two beautiful islands offer distinct experiences that cater to different preferences, whether you’re into the rich history, natural beauty, gastronomy, or nightlife.
To help you decide which island best fits your style and interests, we’ve created this comprehensive guide comparing the pros and cons of Crete and Corfu.
So, sit back with a cup of coffee as we take you on an exciting journey through Crete vs. Corfu!
Keep reading below for our in-depth analysis on weighing up Crete vs. Corfu.
Skip Ahead To My Advice Here!
Introduction To Crete And Corfu
Both Crete and Corfu are popular tourist destinations, offering beautiful beaches, clear waters, and scenic mountain views. However, they have different ambiances, and each caters to different types of travelers. Which is right for you?
Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, with a population of more than 600,000. It is located in the southeastern part of the Mediterranean Sea, about 160 kilometers (100 miles) south of Greece’s mainland.
Corfu is one of the Ionian Islands, located in the northwestern part of the Mediterranean Sea, close to Albania. It has a population of about 110,000.
Here is a comparison of Crete and Corfu to help you decide which one is right for you.
Corfu Vs. Crete
When deciding if Corfu is the right Greek island for your vacation, it is important to weigh the pros and cons. Here are some of the most notable pros and cons of visiting Corfu:
What To See And Do On Corfu
There’s no shortage of things to see and do on the Greek island of Corfu. From its vibrant nightlife and sandy beaches to its historic towns and villages, there’s something for everyone on this beautiful island.
- Corfu Town: If you’re looking for a lively atmosphere, you’ll find it in abundance in Corfu Town. This is the island’s capital and it’s full of bars, clubs, and restaurants. There are also plenty of shops for those who want to do some retail therapy
- Old Town: The old town is definitely worth a visit too, with its Venetian architecture and atmospheric alleyways
- Beaches: For those who want to enjoy some time on the beach, there are plenty of options to choose from. Kavos is one of the most popular spots with young people thanks to its lively atmosphere and selection of bars and clubs. Sidari is another great choice if you’re looking for a more relaxed vibe, while Kassiopi is ideal if you want to get away from it all and enjoy some peace and quiet
- Hiking: If you’re into hiking, there are some great trails that wind their way through the island’s mountains and forests
- Water Sports: If you prefer something more active, why not try your hand at windsurfing or kitesurfing?
- Boat Tours: There are plenty of boat tours available if you want to explore Corfu’s coastline from the water
Where To Stay On Corfu
Brands We Use And Trust
Crete Vs. Corfu
Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, and it has a lot to offer visitors. Here are some pros and cons to help you decide if Crete is the right destination for you:
What To See And Do On Crete
Crete is one of the most popular destinations in Greece for travelers. There’s plenty to see and do on Crete, from exploring the island’s many beaches to hiking in the mountains. Here are some of the top things to see and do on Crete:
- Heraklion: Visit the city of Heraklion, home to the famous Palace of Knossos
- Beaches: Explore the island’s many beaches, including Elafonisi Beach, Balos Beach, and Preveli Beach
- White Mountains: Go hiking in the White Mountains (Lefka Ori), Crete’s mountain range
- Chania: Visit the town of Chania, with its Venetian harbor and old town
- Phaistos: Check out the archaeological site of Phaistos, home to an ancient Minoan palace
- Island Hop: Crete is a great base to plan your Greek island-hopping adventure
Where To Stay On Crete
Crete Or Corfu Cost Comparison
Crete is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands, with a population of over 630,000 people. It is also the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. Corfu, on the other hand, is one of the Ionian Islands and has a population of just over 110,000 people. So, when it comes to size and population, Crete definitely has the advantage.
When it comes to cost, however, Corfu is actually slightly cheaper than Crete. The average daily cost of living in Corfu is around $70 USD, while in Crete it is around $80 USD. This difference is mainly due to accommodation costs, as hotel prices in Corfu are generally lower than in Crete. Food and drink prices are also slightly cheaper in Corfu than in Crete.
So, if you’re looking for a Greek island that won’t break the bank, then Corfu might be the better option for you. However, if you’re looking for a bigger and more bustling island with more things to see and do, then Crete is probably your best bet.
Move This Adventure To Your Inbox & Get An Instant Freebie
No spam. Unsubscribe at any time.
Which Island Is Right For You – Corfu Or Crete
If you’re trying to decide between Crete and Corfu for your next Greek island vacation, it’s important to consider what each has to offer and what will suit your individual needs best.
Crete is the largest of the Greek islands and boasts a diverse landscape with something to offer everyone, from stunning beaches and hiking trails to lively nightlife and traditional villages. Corfu, on the other hand, is smaller and more laid-back, making it ideal for those looking for a relaxing beach holiday.
So, which island is right for you? If you’re looking for an action-packed vacation with plenty of activities on offer, then Crete is definitely the place to be. However, if you’re after a more relaxed holiday where you can simply enjoy some time in the sun, then Corfu could be a better option.
Whichever island you choose, you’re guaranteed a memorable Greek island experience!