Croatian Recipes: Ston Cake (Stonska Torta)
Just to set the record straight, this cake does not contain any rocks! Ston is a small town located on the Pelješac Peninsula. Mali Ston is most famous for its delicious oysters which I was fortunate enough to try recently. It was on this trip that I came across the Ston cake which immediately drew my attention as I noticed it contained penne pasta.
I thought to myself “well that’s different” and subsequently ordered a piece of the Ston cake to give it a try.
I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. I figured this would be a good recipe to share so you can impress your friends and family with this little-known cake recipe.
Ingredients – Ston Cake
- Penne Pasta – 500g
- Sugar – 250g
- Chocolate – 100g
- Ground Walnuts – 200g
- Ground Almonds – 200g
- Butter – 250g
- Eggs – 6
- Vanilla Sugar
- Lemon – 1
- Rum – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Flour – 450 g
- Eggs – 2
- Salt – Pinch
- Olive Oil – tbs
- Cook the penne and as per instructions and drain. Do not add any salt to the water when cooking. When the pasta has cooled, coat with olive oil, lemon juice and rum.
- Mix together the cake dough ingredients. Be sure to rest the dough for an hour. Now take the dough and roll it out thinly making sure to have enough to cover the base of your cake tin and enough to overhang the cake tin and cover the top of the cake.
- Grease the cake tin with oil and flour and then carefully place the dough inside making sure there is around 10 cm hanging over the sides.
- In a bowl mix the grated chocolate, ground almond, walnut, sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl beat the six eggs.
- Now place a layer of the cake mix on the base and then on top of the cake mix layer some of the penne pasta. Following the penne you will need to add a coating of the beaten eggs and 1/3 of your butter cut into pieces.
- Repeat this process until you have used up all of the ingredients.
- Give the cake tin a little tap to help the cake settle.
- Using the excess dough hanging over the edge of the tin, cover the top of the cake. Gently compress the dough to level the cake.
- Brush the dough with butter and place in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees and cook for 45 minutes.
- When the cake has cooled, turn the cake over onto your serving dish and the bottom of the cake with become the top.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve.