Super Easy Croatian Palačinke Recipe
Palacinke…hmmm…hmmmm. Everyone loves pancakes and crepes, and whether they are sweet or savory, they are always a winner! From street foods to snacks at home, palačinke are a big favorite here in Croatia.
I used to spell it palachinke – so don’t be ashamed if that is how you write it too. This palachinke recipe, oops, I mean the palačinke recipe is so easy you can make this with everything you already have in your pantry.
Palačinke are served in Croatian and Serbian homes, and you’ll find them in both countries. Heck, they are found in some form all over the globe. For example, I know Hungarians call them palacsinta.
Croats and Serbs make these in more of a crepe style than the USA style thicker pancake (equally as good if you ask me!). But unlike the thicker pancakes, palačinke can be served either sweet with lashings of jam, Nutella, and cream or plated savory with ham and cheese. You’ll also find various ways to serve them across the Balkans.
When I joined my Croatian family, palačinke was one of my new favorite dishes my mother-in-law would just whip up at the drop of a hat – and nothing has changed.
Ingredients Needed To Make PalačInke (Will Make About 10)
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 whisked eggs
- pinch of salt
- Dash of sparkling water
- Real Butter (for frying, so you also use shortening or oil f you prefer)
How To Make This Palačinke Recipe
- Sift the flour, and slowly mix in the milk and whisked eggs
- Add the salt and continue to whisk until the batter is runny (if you need a little more flour or milk, add it very little-by-little), and the sparkling water
- In a non-stick pan, over medium-high heat, melt a little butter, ensuring that the butter covers the whole surface of the pan
- Add 1/4 of a cup of the mixture to the pre-warmed pan – swirl the batter around in the pan until it fully covers the bottom. Note: Croatian
- When the underside is brown, flip over the palačinke – approx two mins on each side
- Place each one on a plate, and continue until you finish the batter
- Then add your desired filling, roll them up and enjoy!
In our house, our favorite fillings are, rose-hip jam Nutellaela!