Some posts contain compensated links. Please read this disclaimer for more info.
Croatian Cooking: Makovnjača – Poppy Seed Roll
Makovnjača, or poppyseed roll is actually a traditional Croatian dessert that doesn’t have an exact historical story. There is no specific time when this dessert has become “Croatian” or where it was made for the first time.
There are actually a few countries in central and eastern Europe that claim the poppyseed roll as their own national dessert. Regardless we Croatians love it.
In CroatiaMakovnjača is considered to be a Christmas time dessert although we do eat it during the entire year in many households across Croatia as well as in many restaurants.
There are also similar desserts that look like makovnjača, though these are instead filled with the walnuts, cacao powder, different types of jam, hazelnuts or also with carob. There are no limits to what flavors you can make, so get creative and try one for yourself.
Ingredients For Makovnjača – Poppy Seed Roll
- 600 g all purpose flour
- 1 pack of fresh yeast (40 g)
- 100 g sugar
- 120 g butter
- 250 ml milk
- 2 eggs
For the filling:
- 200 g poppy seeds
- 70 g sugar
- 200 ml milk
- Butter for coating the dough
- Powdered sugar
How To Make Makovnjača – Poppy Seed Cake
- Mix the yeast with part of warm milk and sugar. Let it raise a little bit
- In one large bowl add the flour, sugar, salt, softened butter and eggs. Mix well and then add the rest of the warm milk and yeast mixture.
- Knead it for a few minutes until you a get a smooth and soft dough
- Set the dough to rest in a warm place for a one hour or until it doubles in size
- Roll out the dough in a square shape, approx 1 cm thick
- For the filling, you will need to mix together the poppy seeds and sugar and cover them with a heated milk. When I say heated, I mean like really hot milk. Mix it well
- Spread out the filling evenly onto the rolled out dough, and then roll the dough into a loaf, starting from the wider side
- Cover the roll with melted butter and put to a pre-heated oven (180 Celsius degrees) for 40 minutes
- Use some powdered sugar for sprinkling the top of a loaf and serve with a cup of Croatian coffee