Traditional Croatian Recipes: Roast Turkey With Mlinci
Well, I am sure you know what roast turkey is – but I guess that those of you who are not Croatian would not have heard of mlinci – am I right?
Mlinci are thin, dried flatbread that is broken up into pieces and mixed with the roasting juices from a roast turkey. The juices make the mlinci soft and somewhat like noodles. They suck up all those delicious juices and carry the turkey flavor.
Sadly they do not look very appetizing – but don’t let that stop you from eating them. Just don’t be like me who always eats too many, forgets how quickly they fill me up and I can’t finish the turkey….
Roast Turkey Ingredients. Serves 4
- 1 turkey (2 – 3 kg)
- 100mls of sunflower oil
- 100 mls of water
Preparation For Roast Turkey With Mlinci
- The night before you wish to eat the turkey, rub it very well with lots of salt
- When you are ready to roast, pour the oil over the turkey, and place in a preheated oven (set at 200 degrees) and roast for 30 minutes
- Lower the oven to 180 C and continue to roast for 1.5 to 2 hours until the skin becomes slightly crunchy
- During the baking process, spoon the oil over the turkey several times
- Remove the turkey and keep the drippings in the bottom of the baking tray – this is critical for the mlinci
Note: It may be necessary to add additional oil while it’s cooking.
Ingredients for Mlinci
- 1/2 kg of white (smooth) flour
- 1 egg
- 2 – 3 small tablespoons of sunflower oil
- hot water
Mlinci are pasta-like side dish, made of cooked unleavened dough seasoned with turkey drippings.
How to Make Mlinci
- With a little water, knead the flour, egg, oil, and salt until the dough is medium soft and divide into small balls
- Roll out each ball into a sheet of pastry roughly 2mm thick
- Put each rolled out sheet into the oven (100 degrees) and bake until they become firm and slightly yellow and crispy on both sides. Continue until all the pastry is cooked
- When each sheet is cool, break each one into rough toast size pieces, and put in a larger bowl
- Pour into the bowl hot salty water
- Cover the bowl, and let it stand for 10 minutes
- Strain the bowl and pour the mlinci into the tray with the previously saved turkey drippings and stir
- Leave the tray in the hot oven for a few more minutes until you are ready to serve
Serve the turkey and mlinci with a green salad and horseradish sauce.