Some posts contain compensated links. Please read this disclaimer for more info.
Calamari And Cuttlefish Risotto Recipe (Crni Rižot)
This black risotto recipe known as crni rižot in Croatian is fantastic if you like seafood. This dish has an intense seafood flavor and smell. It’s certainly not for those who don’t absolutely love seafood! Influenced by our Italian neighbors (and rulers for many years), this dish is best made al-dente!
This black, almost-scary looking dish can be found all over Croatia, but it traditionally comes from the coastal areas of Croatia. In my opinion, nobody prepares crni rižot better than your typical Dalmatian Konoba – a small family-run restaurant or in my mother-in-law’s kitchen.
My mother-in-law makes this risotto so black. So fishy, with huge chunks of cuttlefish, way more than is needed. Here is her abbreviated recipe for you to enjoy.
We love sharing Croatian cooking recipes – if you have one you’d like to share, please let me know.
Black Risotto Recipe Ingredients
- 1.2 kilograms of cuttlefish & calamari (the more cuttlefish, the better)
- 3 liters water (you may need more)
- 60 grams of unpeeled prawns
- 1.5 large onions diced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, diced small
- 1/2 cups of white wine
- 1 1/2 cups of white rice (carnaroli is best)
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Vegeta
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
Black Risotto Method
- Remove and save the sack of ink from one calamari without breaking it
- Clean the calamari and cuttlefish and cut into small pieces
- Place the calamari, cuttlefish, and prawns (leave them in their shells) into a saucepan, pour water over them and bring to the boil
- Drain the seafood and keep warm. DO NOT DISCARD THE STOCK. Peel the prawns
- Fry onions in olive oil until transparent
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add the wine and half of the stock and allow to boil
- Add rice.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Vegeta, cook for 10 minutes on medium heat stirring from time to time.
- Add the rest of the stock, prawns, ink, calamari, and cuttlefish
- Cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat or until the rice is cooked
- Add more water if needed
- Be sure not to overcook the rice. It should remain firm and not gooey
- Mix in the butter and sprinkle with parsley and serve
Tip: I also like to grate on fresh parmesan cheese
What do you think? Will you give this black risotto recipe a try?
Want To Try Some More Tasty Croatian Recipes: