Croatian Recipe: How to Make Croatian Octopus Salad
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE octopus. We are fortunate enough to have access to great Adriatic octopus from our local fisherman, in fact, they are so fresh they’re often still alive when we buy them. If you’re looking for a recipe for octopus salad, look no further.
This octopus salad recipe is absolutely delish and can be a stand-alone meal or a side dish. This octopus salad is a very simple dish to prepare; the only trick is cooking the octopus. You need to cook it until it becomes tender; which can take some time. Nobody wants to eat chewy octopus – am I right? You also need to purchase a medium to large size octopus – so steer clear of baby octopus for this recipe.
Ingredients For Croatian Octopus Salad
- 2.5 kg Medium or large octopus – cleaned.
- 1.5 Kg waxy potatoes
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely diced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
How to make Croatian Octopus Salad
- Take a large pot and put your octopus and potatoes, with their skins on, inside and fill it 2/3 of the way with cold water. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
- Bring the water to the boil and then simmer until the potatoes are tender. Remove the potatoes and allow to drain.
- Leave the octopus to continue to boil until it becomes tender; this can take some time, so be patient. You will need to keep checking on the octopus and may need to add more water to keep it covered in water. It will take around 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once your potatoes have cooled enough to handle them you need to remove the skins and slice the potatoes into large salad bowl. You want the potato pieces to be somewhat chunky to hold their form.
- Once the octopus is tender remove it from the water and allow to cool.
- Chop up the octopus and add to the salad bowl.
- Now add the garlic, Spanish onion and parsley and a generous amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Delicately mix all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Remember to taste the salad to determine how much seasoning you need.