Some posts contain compensated links. Please read this disclaimer for more info.
How To Make Croatian Easter Bread Dolls (Primorski Uskrsne Bebe)
Almost the same type of dough used in the making of Croatian Easter bread can be used to make these sweet Easter bread dolls that are baked in a part of Croatia known as Primorje (the coastal part of Croatia).
Made alongside the pinca bread, these little bread dolls are gifts for the kids. The dolls are made in two different shapes, traditionally a doll was made for little girls and a wreath for little boys.
There is also another tradition in the town of Dubrovnik where a young lady will give this as a gift to her future mother in law and an Easter egg to her future husband.
As this recipe contains colored eggs I would like to suggest you use natural ways to dye the eggs. You can use the outer shells of a red onion, red cabbage, turmeric powder, red wine, beetroot and lots of other natural ingredients. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about tips and tricks for that.
Croatian Easter Bread Dolls: Ingredients
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 40g sugar
- 5g dried yeast
- 125ml warm milk
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 colored hard-boiled eggs
- 1 egg yolk
Croatian Easter Bread Dolls: Method
- Activate the yeast with the warm milk and sugar
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and after the yeast starts to bubble, add it together with milk, eggs and lemon zest in the same bowl
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until everything is well combined and let it rest in a warm place for one hour
- Transfer the dough onto a working surface and divide it in half and in half again several times, until you have 8 pieces of dough the same size
- Roll the dough into a rope that is 10 cm long and 1 cm thick
- Use 2 pieces to make a wreath or braid. Start with merging the end of the dough rope together and just roll one over the other until you use all the dough. Finish with tucking the end of both ropes under the wreath
- If you are making the wreath, put the egg in the centre and if you are making a braid, put the egg before you start to roll one piece of dough over the over
- Let it rest for 15 minutes
- Heat your oven to 180°C
- Put the wreaths and braids on a baking paper, brush them with an egg yolk and bake them for 20 minutes or until golden brown