Croatian Cooking: Čvarkuše Recipe (Pork Crackling Biscuits)
In the past pork cracklings used to be used in cooking, just not to throw away excess pork fat – but nowadays you’ll see pork cracking used in many ways – and it’s considered to be a true delicacy.
For example, in pork crackling biscuits (Čvarkuše) which are typical for the continental part of Croatia and especially for eastern regions of, Slavonia and Baranja. Of course, as with lots of Croatian recipes, there are few different ways of making them – each one a little different. You can find very thin ones which are just more like chips and other ones which are much bigger and much greasier. You can also find Čvarkuše recipes with other differences, like the types of spices added, some people make them just with salt, but on the other hand, some people and hot paprika so they become spicy.
To be honest, I’m in love with this Čvarkuše recipe – which is more spicier, for me, it’s true magic when they melt in my mouth.
Čvarkuše Recipe Ingredients
“Čvarkuše” pork cracklings biscuits
- 500 g all purpose flour
- 1 pack (40 g) fresh yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml milk
- 1,5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp pork fat
- 250 g pork cracklings
1 egg for coating the biscuits
How To Make Čvarkuše
- Grind the cracklings or use a sharp knife and cut them in a very small pieces
- Mix together the yeast with some warm milk and sugar and leave it for 10 minutes to rest.
- Mix the flour with the salt and pepper
- Now is time to add yeast mixture, pork fat, an egg and the rest of the warmed milk to the flour
- Knead it until you get a soft dough, cover it with a napkin and leave to rest for 45 minutes on a warm place until it doubles it size
- Roll out the dough into a thin layer (approx 1cm) and on one half spread the one-third of the crackling mixture. Cover them with the other half and roll the dough out again in the same way
- Repeat step 6 for another two times until you use up all the crackling mix. Now roll out the dough to 1.5 cm thickness and with a round mold (or a glass) punch out the biscuits
- Put the biscuits in a baking tray sprinkled with some pork fat or butter, cover them with a mixed egg and sprinkle over with coarse salt
- Bake in a warmed oven on 180 degrees Celsius for a 25-30 minutes
- Serve while still hot with your favorite beverage