Some posts contain compensated links. Please read this disclaimer for more info.
Croatian Cooking: The Perfect Christmas Medenjaci Recipe
Who doesn’t love cookies? Come on, we all love to munch away to our heart’s content, and medenjaci is the ideal choice! Basically, medenjaci is a honey flavored cookie which hails from Croatia, and it can be spiced with various flavors, according to whatever you like.
The main spices are cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and of course, honey. You can ice these if you like, and you’ll see them in bakeries with various designed and colored icing on them. Medenjaci are quite the Christmas staple around the Balkans.
These cookies are ideal for a special occasion, perhaps a birthday, or simply for baking with the kids. The recipe below will make a large batch, around 40-50 cookies.
Medenjaci Recipe – Ingredients
- Half a cup of brown sugar
- Half a cup of butter
- Half a cup of honey
- 2 large eggs
- Quarter teaspoon of cloves
- Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
- Half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A little salt, just a pinch
- 3 cups of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of icing sugar – if you are planning on icing your cookies, disregard if not
Medenjaci Recipe – Method
- Preheat your oven to 350F/175C
- Take a large baking tray and line it with parchment, set aside until you’re ready to use it
- Take a medium-sized saucepan, and melt the honey and the butter until they’re syrupy and totally combined – set to one side
- Take a large bowl and mix together your spices and the flour, as well as the baking soda
- In a separate bowl (large), add the eggs and the sugar and whisk together until smooth
- Add the honey and butter combination to the eggs and combine once more
- Now add the flour and spice mix
- Mix together using your hands to create a dough – it will be a little messy at first!
- Once the dough has formed a ball, wrap it in cling film and put into the fridge for around 1-2 hours
- Remove the dough from the fridge and separate it into balls, around the size of a walnut will do
- Place them on the baking tray and press down, to form a flat circle
- Bake in the oven for around 8-10 minutes, until they begin to turn a nice golden color
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool
- If you are going to ice your cookies, place the icing sugar in a mixing bowl and add a tablespoon of water, mixing until smooth
- Add another tablespoon of water and mix together again
- Once the cookies have cooled down, dip them into the icing mixture, or create your own pretty pattern!
- Place to one side to let the icing completely set
You can keep medenjaci for around 4-5 days, or you can just devour them in one go!Share