What You'll Find On This Page
- About Chasing the Donkey | A Balkans & Croatia Travel Blog:
- What Does Chasing The Donkey Mean?
- Who are we? Allow us to introduce ourselves.
- Why do we blog?
- Who is who?
- What can you expect from this blog?
- Want to know more?
- How can we help you?
- Are you looking for info on living in Croatia?
- If we have not bored you already – here is more about us
- We hope you’ll enjoy following along as we build our dream house by the sea and have Croatian (mis) adventures. We aim to help you discover Croatia like a local. Let us know what you think!
About Chasing the Donkey | A Balkans & Croatia Travel Blog:
This blog is the place you discover all about Croatian travel, food, and culture. We also share stories about our life in Croatia.
What Does Chasing The Donkey Mean?
One place that holds a special place in my heart here in Croatia is the Island of Dugi Otok. Why? Well, it’s where I first saw those donkeys, who inspired the name of this blog on my very first trip to Croatia back in 2000. The name Chasing the Donkey means nothing; it’s just as silly name about wanting to move to Croatia where I saw those donkey’s back in 2000.
Many Kornati Island day trips stop at Dugi Otok where you can throw down your towel and swim in the crystal clear waters and walk up the hill to meet a donkey or twenty. Or you could just wait, a little while and one of the donkeys will come & greet you like these guys.
Who are we? Allow us to introduce ourselves.
We are the Begonja Family. We’re Sarah-Jane and Mate a married couple from Australia. Mate was born to Croatian parents and grew up in Australia. SJ is a full blooded Aussie. Together we packed up our life in Australia (along with our son) and moved to Croatia.
Why do we blog?
Living in Croatia was lonely, so SJ started the blog as a way to document the experience and share it with everyone back home. Then things got busy. The blog became popular as we began writing about our travels. We are travel addicts (25 countries and counting) and could not stop exploring Croatia and blogging about it as we went. The blog is just all so much fun; we now can’t stop. We blog every week. Sometimes more. We love sharing our travel experiences with you – and inspiring people to add Croatia to their travel list.
— Melanie (@melaniemiddle1) March 20, 2014
Who is who?
Sarah-Jane is often referred to as SJ (who wants to say a name with three syllables?). While Mate pronounced mart-air blogs when he isn’t cooking, or roaming about the country. Our son is small, so we tend not talk about him much – but when we do we call him the Baby Donkey – or most recently – the Little Donkey given he has grown so much in the past four years, while we have been blogging. Then, of course, there is Donkimir the little four legged part of the crew who we are figuratively chasing.
What can you expect from this blog?
If you’re looking for a blog that’s honest (sometimes too honest) and written by real people who love Croatia – you’re in the right place. We blog about a variety of things – all Croatian.
- We write guides and travel tips about things to do in Croatia.
- We love to cook, and so we talk a lot bout Croatian food and share Croatian recipes in English.
- We share stories about living in Croatia. As expats, things can be tough at times, so we also share expat tips and honest musings about how we feel.
- We started growing fruit and vegetables and have our olive trees, so sometimes we talk about that.
- We are building a house in Croatia – and you can see progress reports as we build our dream home – you can cry along with us for how long it’s taking.
- Travel product reviews and travel tips.
Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Want to know more?
We know you want to know why we moved to Croatia? It’s okay; everyone asks us. We moved to be adventurous and try something new. Life is too short to have regrets. We realized how precious life was when Mate got cancer – beat it – and got it again. Heck, your whole world spins when you have so much chemotherapy and radiotherapy that it almost kills you. Thankfully he beat it a second time – so we decided to live-the-fullest-life-we-can-live. Croatia was an easy choice after we inherited land here after Mate’s Fathers passing. Moving was not so easy – and still isn’t, but here we are giving it a red hot go.
How can we help you?
We publish new blog posts every week, sometimes several times a week. If you’d like to stay up-to-date on all things Croatian – come back again – we will be here.
Are you looking for info on living in Croatia?
If you’re thinking about returning home to the ‘motherland’ or you are a spouse of someone who wants to. YOU CAN DO IT. In this blog, you’ll see that yes, sometimes life in Croatia can be difficult, but you only have one life. Live it.
If we have not bored you already – here is more about us
- After Mate’s Father and Grandfather passed away Mate inherited land in Croatia, which included a small house, that Mate’s Grandfather built. Mate’s Father had always dreamed of one day returning to Croatia to fix up the little old house – but sadly time and cancer beat him to his wish. So, in his absence, we took on the challenge.
- SJ and Mate have been together since 1999 (you do that math). Some say you get less for murder.
- SJ is 5th generation Australian, who came from Welsh, Irish and English convict stock. But don’t worry you can leave your valuables with her – she is trustworthy.
- SJ always says (& writes) what she thinks – and it almost always gets her into trouble. In time, you’ll see that she is a big softy at heart.